Hoops for Hope was conceptualized and initiated when the parents of Dominic Nechvatal, who was born with CF, wanted to make a big difference in the lives of all families affected by the inherited, fatal disease.
Born out of their passion for physical activity and community, but even more out of their determination to witness a day when a control or cure is found, Shaun and Katarina along with Shaun’s sister Sharlene McNairn decided to create an opportunity for a unique and family-friendly event to raise funds and awareness for cystic fibrosis.
Hoops for Hope is an inclusive event that caters to all skill levels of youth and adult players. With children’s entertainment and great basketball, there’s something for everyone at Hoops for Hope.
The organizing committee of Hoops for Hope is pleased to have partnered with Huskie Athletics as the men’s and women’s basketball teams provide officiating at the tournament as well as interact with the young players. The Saskatoon and District Kinettes have long-supported Hoops for Hope by providing a barbecue open to the general public on event day.
In 2016 Hoops for Hope entered a partnership with the POW City Kinsmen Club who stepped on board as Title Sponsor, donating $10,000 per year for three consecutive years. Hoops for Hope is thrilled to welcome POW City Kinsmen on board as we continue the fight against CF.
- Nearly 50 teams played on 8 courts in 2016.
- Over 50 volunteers work together to make Hoops for Hope an exceptional experience including the U of S Basketball Teams, POW City Kinsmen, and the Saskatoon and District Kinettes.
- Online registration and online fundraising makes supporting Hoops for Hope fast and easy. 2016 saw the highest online fundraising in Hoops for Hope history.
- Our Facebook and Twitter pages allow organizers to update followers and promote sponsors via frequent posts.
- Free tournament T-shirt for each player and volunteer!
- Draws for amazing prizes including grand prize travel package as well as season ticket packages for Huskie basketball and more for players who raise pledges.
- Barbecue open to the public during event day.
- Children’s activities including bouncies.
- The awesome atmosphere of Hoops for Hope is a combination of great basketball and laid-back camaraderie complete with a live DJ and great music.
The net amount raised in 2016 exceeded $54,000. All funds raised support care and research for the fight against CF. Over 25% of the funds raised in 2016 came from corporate sponsorship.
Actual expenses in 2016 were less than 10% thanks to generous gift-in-kind donations from corporate sponsors.